Hot Springs in the Island of Lipari were often mentioned by old Greek and Roman writers and they were so famous that one of the minor thermal baths in Rome was called “Eolia”.
These mentions doubtless refer to the San Calogero Hot Spring. The current hydro is a few kilometers far from towns and it probably started working in 1872 in order to get benefit from the hot springs in the south east part of the island, about 150 above sea level.
They are chemically composed of sodium bicarbonate-sulphate and a close to neutrality pH.
They are probably deep waters which come from rainfalls mixed with geothermal vapors full of acid gases (such as carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide). They gush out at about 50° Celsius.